Why Do Kids Need to Go to The Dentist?
If you have kids, then you know that every decision you make about them affects the quality of their life. The food choices and the medical intervention options you choose ultimately determine how their lives turn out.
When it comes to taking care of your child’s teeth, it paramount to start early. Figuring out the different aspects of your child’s teeth as they grow and develop can be overwhelming. Is this the only reason you need to consider a pediatric dentist for your child?
Who is A Pediatric Dentist?
A pediatric dentist is a dental expert that majors in catering to the oral needs of children. All the dental exams for children are conducted by pediatric dentists. While any general dentist can care for the oral needs of your child, pediatric dentists are best placed at handling children’s teeth.
The thing about children is that they grow very quickly. The growth is not just vertically. Your child will change in different aspects, including the mouth. As the bone structures are developing, teeth are also developing and growing. Pediatric dentists can walk through the different stages of growth and development in your child’s life.
What Does Dentistry for Children Entail?
Children have unique oral needs than those of adults. This is because their teeth are constantly changing as they grow up. Dental care for children, therefore, involves some of the following aspects:
- Preventive dental care services – in any area of medicine, prevention is always better than cure. Dental care services for children offer preventive measures to help kids keep up with good oral health. Some services offered in preventive dental care include regular dental cleanings, dental sealants, fluoride treatment, dental crowns, mouthguards, to mention a few. The preventive measures will help sustain healthy teeth for your child in the long haul.
- Habit training and counseling – children pick up all sorts of habits as they grow up. The habits are both good and bad. Trying to undo the effects of bad habits after a long time can be overwhelming. Instead, you can work to make them quit bad habits as soon as you realize them. Still, it is not an easy task. Bad habits do not go easy. Thankfully, pediatric dental experts are trained enough to handle behavioral changes in kids. Granted, they can trade the bad habits of your child for healthy ones. Some bad habits that your child should quit include thumb-sucking, teeth grinding, biting in fingernails, crushing candy and other hard foods, among others. These can be traded for better habits like eating fruits, regular flossing, drinking water, among many others.
- Oral hygiene sensitization – getting your child to learn everything about brushing teeth and flossing is an uphill task. For the most part, if they decide to do it, they will consider it a tedious task, or worse, a punishment. Dental experts for children know how to go about the disinterest of kids in oral hygiene. They can reinforce this behavior, and even make it fun for them to consider.
- Early dental diagnosis – knowing what could be ailing your child early enough, is a gift. It is, however, only possible if a medical expert is checking up on your child’s health. Pediatricians will check the health of your child to detect any underlying oral problems. When it comes to dental care, any anomalies in the mouth will be detected early to ensure the oral problem is curbed before it progresses.
- Orthodontic services – children need orthodontic care more than adults. If more kids could get their teeth realigned at a young age, they would not need the same treatment in adulthood. It is why teenagers and pre-teens should benefit from braces before the misalignment is complex in adulthood.
- Dental emergencies – children are not the most careful beings on earth. At any given time, your child can incur an injury in their mouth. Such dental emergencies like severe tooth pain, excessive bleeding, and swelling, should be addressed as soon as possible. Without any access to a pediatric dentist, it can be hard for you to acquire the services as immediate as you would desire.